Pursuant to 15 NCAC 2D.1099, the following rules are established in an effort to control Open Air Burning within the Village of Walnut Creek:
- Open air burning is restricted to Monday through Saturday only. Burning on Sundays and holidays is prohibited.
- Yard debris that originated on the property owners’ lot is the only material allowed to be burned. (No burning of stumps, lumber, garbage, synthetic material or branches over 6” in diameter is permitted).
- Burning may be initiated no earlier than 8:00 AM and no materials may be added after 6:00 PM.
- Burning may not create a “Nuisance” to other property owners. Nuisance is defined as causing physical irritation exacerbating a documented medical condition (a copy of medical documentation must be on file in the Village office), visibility impairment, or evidence of soot or ash on property or structure other than the property on which the burning is done.
- Burning is restricted to locations within 100 feet of the residence in order to ensure availability of water to extinguish the fire in an emergency.
Please remember: there are alternatives to open air burning such as composting yard waste, chipping tree limbs or hauling yard debris to the Compost Area.
The Council of the Village of Walnut Creek has approved a plan to reopen the Compost (Yard Debris ) area effective May 2, 2009, with the following provisions:
- The days and hours of operation will be Saturday from 8:00 to 5:00 and Wednesday from 1:00 to 5:00. Special provisions may be made by contacting the Village office at 778-9687.
- Only residents/property owners of Walnut Creek will be allowed to drop off yard material (no contractors) and identification will be required.
- No tree limbs over 4 inches in diameter will be allowed. If you have a doubt about the size of your debris, a gauge is provided on site.
- Tree trunks, stumps, lumber and household trash including used appliances and household junk will not be permitted.
- Materials will be segregated into two areas: grass clippings and tree limbs.
- Surveillance by the Walnut Creek Police Department will be used to ensure compliance.
It will take the continued efforts of both Village staff as well as residents/property owners being responsible to keep the area operating at peak efficiency.
If residents/property owners witness violations of this policy, they may report the matter discretely to any of the Village staff. We solicit your feedback and stand ready to adjust the operation of the facility if necessary.
Our official ordinances are kept on record with American Legal Publishing. To view the list of ordinances, please follow the link below to their website. Their website is not maintained by The Village of Walnut Creek.